Former Takeshiro Nagayama Residence
The Hokkaido pioneer’s former residence that is also an early example of an architectural work combining Japanese and Western styles.
Built around 1880, this residence was built as the home of Takeshiro Nagayama, the second director of the Hokkaido Agency. The interior of the residence, which is surrounded by a garden fill of azalea and Japanese yew trees, combines Western and Japanese architectural styles. A purely Japanese study, for example, connects to a Western drawing room. It is an early example of residences incorporating Western architectural technologies, which became popular during the Hokkaido pioneering period. The two-story building on the north side of the property is a Western building that the Mitsubishi Mining and Cement Co., Ltd. built upon purchasing the residence after Nagayama passed away. In contrast to the wooden one-storied Nagayama residence, it features roof made of plain wood and wood painted green. After his position as director of the Hokkaido Agency, Nagayama moved to Tokyo and served as a member of the House of Peers and died in 1904. His ashes were sent back to Sapporo as specified in his will.